Thursday, January 10, 2008

Action


Dear Fellow Nurses,
Just to update you on the happenings in WS - Mental Health Association.
I have been asked to participate in the local board of the MHA - our District 3  has agreed to make mental health issues it's primary focus. They are beginning to write letters for parity and have agreed to volunteer. Val and I met with the MHA and we will present a list of opportunities for volunteering at tonights meeting. I applied for a special projects funding to have a professional mental health series and try to use a program from the National Center for Empowerment. It is a similation program for people who hear voices. It is rated very high. Any input would be helpful.

I would like to see us create a referundum for the conference on mental health issues, any ideas would be helpful.

I continue my work with the Tourette Syndrome Association and did a fundraiser, I have some DVD's ready for distribution but I want to ensure these are going into hands that will access and use. Victoria gave me several nurses, which I contacted, but have not heard back from either of them. If you know a school nurse, or someone who treats Tourette's - or if you know someone with Tourette's and would like to see the DVD's in your school - Call or email me.
Thanks

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Advocacy in action. Just the first steps to creating a coalition and getting an entire district involved. Wanted to add that we are encouraging people in our district that they can participate by giving either of their time or financial resources. Available resources may not be the same for all. For example members who would presently have financial resources are encouraged to bring in items for Operation Santa for Christmas 2008. We are anticipating a Mental Health Awareness Week Health Fair, which will be a match for those with time.